Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Plants here we come!

So just over a month ago, Kev and I made the decision to change our diet to a plant-based one. No meat, no dairy. Not at home at least. We have good health reasons for doing it rather than it being an ethical choice. It's been a long process to get us here, and I mean several years, but I am so happy to have finally arrived. I hadn't realised how much I wanted this and I can honestly say I love it. I feel lighter, happier and more enthusiastic about food than I have done in years.

We are flexible, so we will fit in with other people's food out and about. And sometimes we eat eggs and honey at home. It's not a big deal.

This does of course include Felix too. It's not meant as much change for him as you might think. For a start he's only 10 months old, but also from the start of weaning he's always chosen a bean over a piece of meat. I have read widely to make sure I know what he should be getting and from which foods and now realise how little I knew about detailed nutrition before!

After a month the initial 'what can we eat for dinner' has calmed down and I don't have to think about it so much. The mental shift has been extremely quick, and it feels completely right to be eating like this.

Kicking my caffeine habit is proving to be far, far harder...

No comments:

Post a Comment