Friday, 20 July 2012

Foodie Friday (20 July 2012)

Today's Foodie Friday is an homage to thrift born out of laziness. On my meal plan it said vegetable kebabs to celebrate the newly summery weather, but when it came to it I couldn't find the kebab skewers and wasn't in the mood to search too hard. I also wasn't in the mood to cook from scratch any of the lovely vegetables I had to hand. 


Instead I decided to piece together a meal using whatever I could find. On inspection of the fridge and freezer I assembled the following:


3 baby size portions of mushroom & black eyed bean bolognese sauce
1/3 pot of Tofutti (soya cream cheese, excellent stuff)
1 handful of leftover roasted root vegetables
1 baby size portion of lentil stew
1 slice of roasted red pepper


I chopped the roasted veg and red pepper, added them and the lentil stew to the bolognese sauce and heated it through. I cooked spaghetti and added as much of the cooking water as was needed to make the bolognese good and saucy, together with a few handfuls of chopped spinach. Just as it was ready I melted in 2 tbsp of the Tofutti which added a lovely creaminess to the sauce and stirred in 2 tbsp of Engevita Nutritional Yeast Flakes for a slight cheesey flavour and a good shot of Vitamin B12. 


This fed two hungry adults and our 13 month old and I have to say it was the most enjoyable meal I've had for a few days! The baby couldn't eat it fast enough, which was lovely to watch. Aren't the surprise successes always more satisfying? Not only did I use up a few odds and sods that were threatening to be forgotten about, but I discovered a new dish that I will definitely try to make again!

Not sure what to call it. Creamy roasted vegetable bolognese...Leftovers Spectacular...Lazy Mother's Saviour...anyway, it was excellent and will encourage me to throw random things together in a pan more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment