Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins - dairy free

Of late I have been fancying a really good treat and buoyed up by last week's fantastic Chocolate Avocado Pudding success I decided this weekend was the time to do some baking.

I also wanted to use up some roasted beetroot that I had tucked away in the fridge. Finding a memory lurking in the back of my mind that beetroot and chocolate were a good combination I went on the hunt for recipes.

Seems I was not wrong: I found bucketloads of chocolate and beetroot cake recipes online. I would have been spoilt for choice if I didn't have such particular conditions to meet.

Firstly the recipe needed to be vegan or easy to make vegan. Secondly, it had be sweet enough without having refined sugar in it (or having very little), as I am trying to cut that out of our diet, and no artificial sweeteners.

Too much of a challenge? Fear not. Not only did I find a lovely recipe, but I also found a lovely new blog which I am now happily exploring. So here is the recipe from The Savvy Sister stateside. Next time I will try it with chocolate chips as that is the only way I can think of making it better!

Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins


Set oven to 180 C
  • about 1 1/2 cups cooked beetroot (roasted or steamed)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup melted dairy free spread
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk (or almond or rice milk)
1.  If steaming the beetroot, scrub them then lightly peel any rough skin. Cut off top and bottom.  Cut into cubes and set  in steamer or placed in a metal colander on top of pot filled with about 4-5 inches of water covered on med high heat.  Beetroot should not touch the water.  Steam for about 30-45 minutes.  Pieces should be soft when pierced with a fork.  Set aside to cool completely.  This step can be done the day before.
1a. If roasting the beetroot, scrub them then lightly peel any rough skin. Cut off top and bottom and quarter. Toss in oil (I use rapeseed or olive oil) and put into a roasting pan, cover with foil and roast for about 40 minutes at about 180C until soft when pierced with a fork. Set aside to cool completely.
2.  Place cooked beetroot, syrup and vanilla in food processor and pulse to mix,  then process on high for a couple of minutes until very smooth. 
3.  Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.  Add beetroot and coconut milk to mixture and stir to combine.
4.  Add in melted spread and stir well with a spoon.
5.  Line cupcake tin with paper cups or grease with oil spray and fill 3/4 of the way full with batter.
Bake at 180 C for 16-18  minutes. (11 minutes for mini cupcakes) Top should be firm to light touch.  Let cool for 15 minutes.

There is a frosting recipe to go with this on the Savvy Sister website, which I haven't tried yet. 
Try not to eat them all at once... 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the linkback! Those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...we have all those ingredients! My baby boy is turning one soon and cannot have dairy so I'll be tucking this one away for a possible first birthday cupcake substitute. We haven't tried wheat yet though as he had trouble with other grains. I'm nervous about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tricky isn't it? I tend to find that as soon as a recipe knocks out one thing I want to avoid, it introduces another! Finding ones with no processed sugar and no dairy is hard enough, but wheat too.

    Hmmm. That's got me thinking. I used to make a cracking chocolate torte without any flour though it had eggs and butter. The brain is whirring!

    ReplyDelete