Monday, 24 September 2012

Meal Planning Monday (24th September 2012)

This week I have made a lovely new food friend: roasted broccoli. Oh my word, how good is roasted broccoli? I made a batch of it with cauliflower and me and the babe scoffed the lot as a snack. Divine even when stone cold.

I have also rediscovered pearl barley. I used to chuck it in with a lamb stew I made pre-vegan days but that only worked if you were eating the whole stew in one go. I found that the barley just kept expanding and sucked up all the sauce so leftovers where gloopy rather than saucy which made me sad. This time, I cooked it on its own and served it with lentil stew and it was lovely. Great texture and good flavour in its own right.


Finally, and most importantly, yesterday I made the most scrumptious vegan chocolate muffins. My life is now complete. I will post the recipe this week so you can all share in my excitement! Oh, and no refined sugars beyond maple syrup which makes me an even happier bunny.
Monday
Lunch: Crumpets & grapes (had big brekkie and having big dinner)
Dinner: Curry!!! homemade mushroom kadai, saag aloo and dhal with a little takeaway boost for husband's birthday feast :)


Tuesday
Lunch: Soup and sandwiches
Dinner:  Mixed bean chilli with buckwheat and quinoa

Wednesday
Lunch: Curry (leftovers from Monday which will taste even better now) 
Dinner: Garlicky greens in black bean sauce and rice noodles

Thursday
Lunch: Curried lentil, potato and cauliflower soup (trying a new recipe in the slow cooker!) 
Dinner: Roast veg and potatoes, red cabbage, greens, quinoa

Friday
Lunch: Hot white bean and aubergine open toasted sandwiches
Dinner: Red lentil and mushroom spaghetti bolognese 

Saturday
Lunch: Sandwiches
Dinner: Lentil stew, bulgar wheat, potatoes and greens

Sunday
Lunch:  Hash

Dinner: Something experimental but stew-like in the slow cooker!

Snacks & puddings
Tinned, fresh and dried fruit, smoothie, crackers or rice cakes & nut butter or hummus or marmite, whole nuts, yoghurt, muffins (full meal muffins for the baby and chocolate for me - yes! vegan!).


For more on Meal Planning Monday, visit At Home with Mrs B and hello to Stateside meal planners at Menu Plan Monday at I'm an Organizing Junkie.

3 comments:

  1. Stews are perfect for this weather! Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm not sure about cold broccoli ;) The meals sound lovely though, esp the lentil spag bol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to give roasted broccoli a try. Sounds delicious!
    I'm always interested in some new recipes to add to my Recipe File Box. That's why I love MPM!
    Looks like there's going to be lots of yummy meals eaten this week.

    ReplyDelete