Sunday, 28 October 2012

Meal Planning Monday (29 October 2012)

This week I am organised, efficient, early out of the starting blocks, inspired. Why? I have been rediscovering my cookbook collection, as you can read here. I am trying to keep smugness to a minimum, but this mix of readiness and enthusiasm is so unusual it fair makes me giddy!

In order not to get overwhelmed by the number of cookbooks I now have at my disposal, and to avoid spending four days on the sofa reading them, I have picked a handful to pick this week's menu from. In case you are interested, they are:

Indian in 6 by Monisha Bharadwaj
A Taste of Heaven and Earth by Bettina Vitell
Chinese Cookery by Ken Hom (I aaaaammm the One and Only...)
The Indian Kitchen by Monisha Bharadwaj

These were the first to hand that I couldn't put down without salivating which I reckon is a pretty good sign. I am being good and designing this week's menu according to what's in the cupboard, together with veg I will be able to get at the market. As usual, it's all meat and dairy free. So, from the books we have:

Sweet and Sour Bengali Lentils, with Gujarati-style carrot and cabbage stir fry, and rice
(no chana dahl but yellow split peas will do fine)

Refried Bean Burritos
(attempting to get brownie points with husband with this one)

Stir-fried vegetables in black bean sauce with rice noodles
(am hoping this is a good replacement for a lost recipe)

Red bean patties filled with coconut and coriander chutney
 (very excited about this one!)

And to go with this we will have:

Lentil Herder's Pie
(lovely from the freezer easy dinner)

Spaghetti Bolognese
(need to make a big batch for the freezer)

A lunch brought by my mum
(lovey lady)

Spicy Bean and Tomato Soup
(leftovers from today)

Sandwiches, fruit, muffins, smoothies etc...

Yum! I am also hoping at some point to try out some Quinoa Breakfast Muffins I have been mulling over and it might be time to treat myself to some of my much loved Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins, so long as I can get beetroot. 

All this and a child with chicken pox, and a room full of junk and boxes to sort out! Better start eating to get the energy up...

For more on Meal Planning Monday, visit At Home with Mrs B.

6 comments:

  1. The burritos sound good!! I don't think I've ever made them before. Hope you score some brownie points ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame I completely burnt the first lots of beans...the house stinks! Will try again for Wednesday :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely lovely lovely!!!! :) Intrigued by sweet and sour lentils - the flavours sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know what they are like. I love sweet and sour flavours so my expectations are high :)

      Delete
    2. Okay, I should really learn to trust my foodie instincts because I make a way better dhal than this anyway.

      Plus, it wasn't really very sweet and sour, though I am still taken with the notion of a sweet and sour dhal and might fiddle with the recipe until I am happy with it.

      Delete
    3. Shame :( I hate it when a recipe you really look forward to ends up being a disappointment :( Let me know if you hit the jackpot!

      Delete